Thursday, December 10, 2009

Make a wish and save a life

There were a lot of tracks down by the river when we went for our hike this morning. Deer of course ... fox and coyotes and even a wandering set of kitty cat tracks. (Before the keyboards catch on fire, not all kitty tracks represent a homeless cat and many are simply born of the unaltered wanderlust of toms from the neighbouring farms )
IMHO, there really is no downside to going to the woods with my dogs. Its peaceful and quiet. There's always something new and interesting for them to sniff. Its just frosting on the cake that its the kind of good exercise that keeps this middle aged granny off the merry go round of medicines so many my age are engaged in.
Now this is where I have to come clean about a deep dark secret of mine. Although I advocate almost every day for groups and shelters to use Petfinder, I didn't personally adopt all nine of my kids that way.
Nope .... when I was looking for my girl .... I put in a preapproved application to ARC, NS Labrador Rescue. and S.H.A.I.D. The night that Miss Ruby was rescued, Elsie called me to ask if I might be interested in a malnourished, but very sweet girl. The next day .... Valentine's Day .... Elsie sent the first pics of my girl and the rest was history. Miss Ruby wouldn't have done well with a couch potato, but we suit each other just fine.
As anyone who has followed my blog this year knows, Andy never had a chance to be listed with Petfinder either. Once again, I had a preapproved app for a senior .... so when ARC was asked if they had room for Andy they were able to accept him right away.
Out of nine pets, only two of mine came from Petfinder and even then its a bit of a stretch to say that about Henry. I met him at the vets when I was buying food on the day that he was rescued. But, I was not preapproved with CAPS, nor was I sure I was ready to adopt yet after losing Ben a couple of months before. However, Morgan would not be here if her story hadn't been listed both on the S.H.A.I.D Petfinder site and her own listing.
For the benefit of anyone who just found this blog ... the other five found their own way here over the years .... I think I have a sign on my mailbox that only cats can read : )))))
Most rescues and shelters have a waiting list for owner surrenders. Granted that the adoptables in their care have found safe harbour .... but that still leaves a long long list waiting in the cold.
If you, or anyone you know, is thinking of enriching your life with a new pet, putting in a preapproved application to at least one rescue is an excellent idea because:
  • reputable rescues around Atlantic Canada network and will pull out all the stops, including transporting, to find you the poodle/ spaniel/ etc of your dreams.
  • rescues and shelters already have waiting lists of preapproved adopters. Many of the lovelies who come into their care never need to be listed on Petfinder because they are already spoken for. First time adopters have no idea how many lovely family friendly dogs are available because they never need listing, and of course last but not least
  • all rescues work miracles on a shoestring. If they know that they have an adopter waiting and hoping for a poodle/spaniel/etc then it is easier for them to accept one in need.

People use matchmaking services when they get tired of going to the bars .... and virtual reminder services when they get tired of keeping track of birthdays and anniversaries. Preapproved adoptions are just one more way of letting the experts help adopters to have an easier life.

What time is it? Its time to remember that rescuers aren't psychic ... they won't be able to help you find the pet of your dreams unless they know what you're looking for. Its not just convenient and easy ... its also a great way to save a pet that might have been left waiting in the cold.

No comments: