Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Talking to Politicians... yet again

When I came in from scooping the lane just now, this was waiting in my inbox from the Hon . Brooke D Taylor, in response to my ( much ) earlier email
Ref. # M166/112508019
Dear Ms. Young:
Premier MacDonald has asked me to reply on his behalf to your email of November 24, 2008.You may be aware by now that Bill 186, the Animal Protection Act, passed in the Legislature on November 25, 2008. Regulations supporting the Bill will be drafted and suggestions from the SPCA dealing with animal transport will be considered at that time.
The exemption for researchers operating under the control of the Canadian Council for Animal Care passed with the Bill. I have every confidence this group will be diligent in their work and are considered a gold standard organization by many other countries.
Thank you for taking the time to write the Premier and we appreciate your efforts on behalf of homeless pets.
Yours sincerely,
Brooke Taylor
Minister of Agriculture
c: Premier Rodney MacDonald
In the orginal email I had also given a list of good reasons, from both a humane and a public safety perspective in support of the proposal for banning the transport of unsecured and unprotected animals in the back of a pickup..... heavy sigh.... that basically reiterated an earlier post of mine http://catanddogmother.blogspot.com/2008/11/why-we-should-never-save-our-breath-to.html
Whenever there is an issue that I feel is of concern, like my mother before me I do not hesitate to contact the politicians who represent me at every level. They don't always agree with me but have resigned themselves to listening politely at least, although I am at that wonderful age when I am past being treated as 'cute' and can expect to be taken seriously.
IMHO, there is never any point in whining about anything if you don't express your concerns to your elected officials. That's the only way that democracy really works.
"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds."~Samuel Adams

No comments: