Monday, January 26, 2009

Keeping the Pantry stocked

When I started out as a cook in the military, mess halls were busy spots and it wasn't unusual to feed five hundred for every meal. It certainly changed how I looked at food. When you go through ten to twelve fifty pound bags of potatoes for each meal, somehow that little five or ten pound bag never looks like enough. I remember the first Thanksgiving dinner I cooked in my first home after a couple of years of that ... the turkey was fine but I had enough stuffing for five birds and wound up with two dutch ovens full of gravy. After a while I got used to the idea that cooking at home would always seem like playing .... but more importantly that it was playing with an entirely different set of rules than at work.
I still can overproduce if I'm not careful ... I remember when I moved to the country and decided to try my hand at pickling. Well a few jars of this recipe.. a few jars of that one and next thing I knew I had over three hundred jars of pickles looking for a home. Fortunately people always like edible gifts .... but even so all of my friends still joke about that year.
Over the years I have learned to temper my seed orders for a garden for one. I still keep a fully stocked larder though and if the stores closed for a month, I would probably only run out of milk. That's especially easy to do when I am an empty nester whose biggest food expenditures are for the cats and dogs : )))
Tomorrow is budget day and I suspect no matter how the deck is stacked, there will be many here in this province who fall through the cracks. There have been so many jobs lost both here and for those who have 'commuted' out west to work. Sadly I think there are going to be a lot of empty pantries out there in the months to come.
When things get that tough, when it gets to be a choice between feeding the kids or the pets .... well we all know how that one plays out. If ever there was a time to think of creating a safety net for pet owners, I believe this is it. Tangible support could keep all the rescues, including the society, from being swamped in the backwash of these difficult days:
  • I do understand that the food banks sometimes have pet food ... but would this not be a good time to consider setting up pet food banks? In some instances, pet food companies themselves might be enticed to provide meaningful support .... the fact that there are both PR and tax benefits is always a good motivator.
  • It would probably also be a splendid time to encourage the municipalities to sponsor subsidized vaccination clinics.
  • those who are unable to keep their house would sure benefit from an information campaign aimed at landlords for renting to pet owners.
  • It is a very great blessing that the society is already laying the groundwork for both feral cat support and a high volume/low cost spay neuter program
  • In that spirit, this might be a great time to consider accepting surrendered litters of puppies and kittens if the pet owners keep and spay the mommies. That would also have the fringe benefit of helping with population control in a big way.
  • Set up a special help line so that when people really hit the wall the pets don't wind up dumped somewhere.
I don't think I'm being overly pessimistic here. The glass half full side of me would like to believe these days will turn around ... gosh someone's going to have to build the solar panels and the windmills, eh? What we need in the interim is to provide that helping hand so that good people do not spend the rest of their days regretting leaving their pets in the lurch.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet again you have hit on a major issue and offered concise, timely and forward thinking ideas. I wonder how often a pet is "dumped" because of a crisis, financial or otherwise, that passes relatively quickly and by then it's too late for the pet. If there was help to get over the rough patch I'm sure many loved family pets could stay with the family instead of becoming another shelter statistic.

Anonymous said...

Our shelter will take litters of kittens or puppies as long as the Mommy is spayed or the owner relinquishes her as well. This stops the same people from having their animals produce endless litters trying to dump them on shelters. They are usually good pet owners in all other ways.

We also check that all animals adopted from us are spayed/neutered, with vet authorization required to get a deposit returned (for people who live out of our area, a deposit is required at the time the animal is adopted)

Recently a dog, that was adopted and not spayed, was taken back, spayed and the owner is paying the bill to retrieve her dog. We had to force the issue before she had puppies!

I believe as shelters, we have to be proactive in checking on the spay/neuter of all animals that we adopt. It's part of a legal contract the owner signs so we make sure we enforce it. Without that, we'll never slow the never ending circle of unwanted animals.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I really enjoy checking each day for new posts!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Could you explain to me why shelters don't fix the animal prior to delivery to the adopter. This way no "leakage" occurs. The cynic in me thinks that retention of unclaimed deposits might be a part of the problem.RG.

Old Maid said...

RG it is the rare group in ns that doesn't alter its adoptables first. Generally the only ones that aren't are those that are too young. It is usually the ones that haven't cycled through rescue here that cause the overpopulation problem. Which of course is back to another one of my favourite bones to pick/ aka why it should be illegal to traffic in pets on online ad sites.

Anonymous said...

Just a follow up question. Do most shelters practice "early age spay/neuter" ie 8 months and over?RG.

Old Maid said...

Ummm... RG you meant 8 weeks, not months, right? : ))))) To be quite honest that is still a group by group thing. Obviously the tnr folks and related groups are on board with that though. Those who aren't ok with 8-12 weeks are usually onboard with the more mainstream acceptable 14 - 16 weeks, which is still earlier than the conventional old six months. If nothing else, the earlier the alter the cheaper it is which of couse is a factor for everything here in the real world.
BTW, the shelter Jewel works with are renowned for the work they have done in nfld and their director won an award for her/their work just last year. Not only do they 'rescue' animals from groups around the province but they use their very excellent rapport with NS rescues to 'outsource' so they have room to save even more.

Anonymous said...

Yes I mean weeks not months. Must have had a "seniors monent".RG.

Anonymous said...

I say wipe the slate clean and start over. Looking on pet finder when the odd time Cape Breton SPCA does post them, all I have to look for is the animals with fear on their faces, then I know it is the Cape Breton SPCA. The thoughts of these people taking a needle and euthanizing these poor animals sends chills up my spine. Just go to http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/557769. This was a high kill shelter and this poor little fellow stuck his head up after being in a freezer for 4days with a lot of other deceased animals. When the shelter worker called the manager her reply was euthanize him again. Thankfully she refused and put the dog in hiding. A lot of things in Cape Breton have to change not just how they kill them. Foster homes, use of petfinder with writeups and someone who can take pictures without instilling fear in these animals. Foster care outside of Cape Breton. If not the more things change the more they stay the same.