Wednesday, July 1, 2009

An Ounce of Prevention

Happy Canada Day! From the littlest village to the big cities, most of today's celebrations are going to include fireworks. Now where I live, I don't have to go down to the village to see the fireworks.... being just high enough up the 'mountain' to see the show without battling the traffic.
Sadly .... out here a lot of folks will be firing off fireworks at their own celebrations and gathering too. Why do I say that? Am I such a party pooper at the ripe old age of 54? Of course not.
Most folks do not understand that their pets don't view fireworks in the same way they do. My own Miss Ruby is utterly and completely terrified of fireworks. This evening I will need to make sure that we have our last stroll of the evening while it is still light. Fear of fireworks is quite common with pets and every year there are good pets who bolt when the fireworks start. Sadly not all of them make it back home safely.
So we'll be indoors .... fans and tv on for as much distraction as can be offered. I already know that if any late night revellers are still setting them off that in two seconds, Miss Ruby will levitate out of her toddler bed into bed with me and will be vibrating like a tuning fork.
Its moments like that that really highlight how inhumane it is to chain a dog outdoors. In spite of what all the experts say about not reinforcing a dog's fears, I'm just glad she trusts me enough to find comfort at my side.
So enjoy the day ..... but especially now that the sale of fireworks is pretty much unregulated in NS .... play it safe and keep all your pets safely inside.

No comments: