Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Update on the Miss Clara from the Monday Morning Gang

One of the best ways that I can keep McG comfortable in the heat, besides of course his multitude of meds and a little fan on the floor in front of his favourite old dog bed, is by giving him a nice tepid shower in my tub.
He has always loved a 'bath' .... even the groomers that he used to terrorize in his youth never had any problem with that. ( While Scotties aren't famous for being water dogs .... but that doesn't matter because McG has always marched to his own beat.) As a matter of fact, it took years to train the little man NOT to hop in my bath: )))
Seniors are a joy to share space with and happily, I received a good news kind of email that somebody else recognizes this too. Miss Clara, the senior Sheltie that came into rescue needing unimaginable amounts of dental work has found a wonderful new home.
(While I try not to 'play favourites', I love the fact that ARC never defines "treatable" by the dollar sign. Of course the fact that they write funny and imaginative bios for their adoptables doesn't hurt either: ))) But those are separate subjects for another day)
The point I am making today is that there is no need for people to assume that there are no good options for their senior pets when they are unable to care for them. Adopters are beginning to discover that adopting a senior pet makes for a much easier life than the time that must be invested to get a puppy off on the right paw.
At the end of the day, adopting a pet is not like buying a thing. From cars to shoes, as consumers we expect to get good value and wear from our things. The biggest gift that our pets give to us is to teach us the value of unconditional love..... which is never measured by the clock or the calendar. Long after I become legally blind, my pets will still make it possible for me to see with my heart.

No comments: