Sunday, June 21, 2009

About Fathers and Mothers Day

There is a bittersweet quality to Fathers Day when your parents are gone. Even after twelve years, its still a wrench not to be able to pick out a card ... technically I could, but it would be tough to be able to send it anywhere he would actually get it.
But before we hit the completely unanticipated jolt of loss, there were years and years of great memories that I get to carry with me wherever I go.
Dad did double duty as the male role model for my own daughter in turn. Having been raised by a great Dad, I had sense enough not to marry my daughter's father simply because I became pregnant.
As a result, once the school years were upon us ..... I was the recipient of both Mothers and Fathers Day cards ..... something that is still a bit of a family tradition even now: )))
If you will recall, last month there was a little feature on the homeless pet site for Mothers Day to showcase some of the lovely little mother cats that 'sit on the shelf' long after their kittens are adopted. Many of them are barely past kittenhood themselves .... which is the best argument I can think of in favour of early age spay and neuter. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION about that.
But I'm wandering afield here. Do you remember the little cat that I featured both on the site, and in Pet abandonment is the mother of all feral cats .
Her kittens are weaned now and one of them has been adopted, and the kind folks at S.H.A.I.D have named her Pandora .... because of course she and her babies were abandoned at SHAID in a taped up box.
Like my own little mighty mini Morgan, Pandora is going to be a dainty little miss because her original guardians were too cheap or too careless or just too darned stupid to get her spayed.
I know I go on like a stuck record, but honestly, the person who is kind enough to open their home and their heart for this little cat is going to be the recipient of more love and devotion than they could possibly imagine.
PS - Brynne is the name that the kind folks at SHAID have given the little girl who was so callously tossed aside on that cold spring night

No comments: