Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Its Adopt a Senior Pet Month at Metro Too!!!




Sixteen years ago, two of my dearest friends showed up on my doorstep with Scamp. He was a senior terrier mix whose sweet personality had captured the hearts of all the volunteers at the (then) Valley Animal Shelter in Middleton, including my two friends. When his 'time was up', they dognapped him and brought him to me in the hopes of finding a safe berth for him.
How could I resist that sweet, laid back fellow? Of all the dogs that I have ever adopted, Scamp was by far the easiest and smoothest fit into our lives.
He had shaggy blond fur and kind of looked like Rod Stewart. We didn't know how old he was, but I'm guessing he was of an age with my then senior lab, Max.
They were good company for each other and used to sit at the screen door watching the world go by... they often reminded me of the two old men in the balcony on the Muppet Show.
I love that November was chosen to be Adopt a Senior Pet Month. The days are getting colder and shorter. What better way to warm your heart than to "fall in love" with a sweet senior?
There have been some very good changes afoot at the Metro Shelter . More of their pets are being listed on http://www.petfinder.com/ , with nice bios and appealing pictures. By my best count, at least eight of the 34 cats listed the other day have been adopted already. ( In my books, listing so many cats is a pawsitive sign - I have no time or respect for people who treat them like second class kittizens!)
Now this evening there is an announcement on the front door of the Metro Shelter website that this is Adopt a Senior Pet Month. They have four nice senior dogs listed on their Petfinder site: Lady Sophia , Sinda and Spirit have been on the site for a little bit, but Lovie and Sweet Pea are newly posted listings. They did have a lovely senior cat, Oreo, who had been on the site for a long time, but nobody had any idea how beautiful she was until they posted some pictures of her.
I also noticed that Lovie 's bio includes the tidbit that there is a reduced adoption fee for her ( although naturally one can assume the screening criteria for adoption still applies as it still did in Sept when they reduced the kitty adoption fees for a bit )
And just like frosting on the cake, there is a link on the front door of the provincial site for the article in SNAP magazine featuring some of the society adoptables http://www.snaphalifax.com/display/62712/1955/
Is it time to break out the champagne yet? Not by a long shot yet. But Metro has moved a lot closer in the past month.... and that's something to talk about in my books.
PS Just in case anyone slept through the last post, be forewarned that I have a new policy where I will delete any comment that expects me to justify anything else that Metro / the society is or is not doing. If you have issues with them.... talk to them : )))
Webmaster Note: I have just found out through roundabout word of mouth that the reduced adoption fees apply to all of Metro's senior pets. What great news for the animals!
Further update: I have confirmed from the source, that the senior adoption fee for this month will be $75.00 for senior dogs and $60.00 for senior kittizens. http://www.nshomelesspets.com/Poster.pdf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Things are really hopping over at the Metro Shelter these days. On Saturday when we went by to pick up our new adopted kitty -- Olympus, the wonder cat! -- there were adults and their kids there walking dogs, another family was there to pick up a cat they had adopted and I see a terrior mix that was being looked at by another family is no longer on Petfinder, so she must have found her furever home too!