Thursday, November 27, 2008

Of Small Dogs and Stray Cats

I had a pretty unusual upbringing for a woman my age. At a time when most of my peers were still being groomed to be good wives and mothers, I was tinkering around the workshop with my Dad. My parents both worked, so seeing my Dad chip in with the housework was normal in our house, even if it was a rarity elsewhere.
Dad was a rock for us all, so we were all completely blown away when we lost him suddenly at the young age of 63 ( Wait until you are 54 to see how much younger that looks ) Of course I did not know it at the time, but while my daughter and I were battling an early blizzard to drive up home for the funeral, over on the south shore a little scottish terrier was born who would soften the hard edge of my grief and see me though everything else since.
McGuinness turned eleven today and has slept on my pillow every day since he first arrived here. He came from Guesthouse Kennels which I really liked because their dogs live in their home.
His birthday was such a celebration this year ... I know that eleven isn't normally all that old for a Scottie, but last year when the little man had dental surgery, the anesthetic affected his heart to the point where he needed to go on Vetmedin. So it is a great joy to still have him here to sleep on my pillow tonight.
There is another good reason to celebrate tonight too. If you go to the society webpage, there is now an official position of support for TNR posted there, Feral Cats and TNR Population Control Programs , as well as a new page in the "What We Do section called Managing Feral Cats http://www.spcans.ca/what_we_do/feralcats.html. Actually, if you look closer in the Animal Care and Control section, there is also a promising start with some info on what is available right now for Spay/Neuter assistance.
Anyone who has read this blog or the old one knows how strongly this middle aged granny feels about TNR. Having the official recognition of a strong position statement by the society is a very important first step. None of the municipalities in this province could be expected to recognize the value of TNR until the official voice for the animals spoke up.
It seems like every time I turn around these days there is something new and good coming from the society.... and THAT is really something to celebrate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday McGuiness!