Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sometimes 'hitchhiking' can save lives

My last seed order came in the mail yesterday ... promising better days ahead than this storm we have today. Even though its still snowing and blowing, after I have my tea I'll head out with the blower to tackle my lane. I could wait until the storm is over, but by that time there would likely be too darned much snow for the blower to clean up. I learned my lesson during White Juan, when it took a backhoe to do the end of the lane: (((
In my perfect fantasy world, I would have the resources to open an animal sanctuary .... but barring a miracle lottery super jackpot that isn't something I see in the cards. The reality is that waiting to do the grand gesture is the same thing as doing nothing at all.
I just processed the domain for the homeless pet site as its coming up to its first 'anniversary'. Its not a big thing... hey its not even rescue... but it is a thing that I have been able to do. The process of researching, developing and maintaining the site has afforded me a bit of a 'birds eye view' of rescue in ns. One thing keeps popping up in a variety of different guises - that we will never get to No Kill Nova Scotia unless we can get the pets to where the adopters are.
Happily the Metro Shelter is on the same page as this and are looking for a way to bring pets from the Cape Breton Branch to Metro when space is available. Every journey starts with that first step... and so the newly formed facebook group, Nova Scotia Pet Transfer has been set up to coordinate volunteer drivers for the animals..... beginning with setting up a solid network for the cb/ Metro run. Some great folks have already stepped up to the plate to help and it is to be hoped that the group will get the ball rolling around the province.
When people try to tackle anything by themselves in animal rescue it never ends well. Now I can't do much... and maybe you can't do much ..... but a whole bunch of that together can add up to a great deal of help for the animals.

No comments: