Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A bit of good news about McG and Cape Breton Puppies

I have a three hundred foot driveway. I know this because when I moved my mini home out to the country, NS Power did not charge extra for power installation for the first 100 metres. Over the years I have always been glad of the privacy that has given me, even if it is a project to clear the lane after a big snowfall.
Even with my trusty snowblower, it was still three hours work to clear the lane today. It was great to come back in and warm up by the fire, but I must admit that I was still dreading calling my vet for the results of McG's latest bit of bloodwork.
When we were in Mon to do the blood test, my vet gave McG a good going over and it had been very disheartening to hear that both his heart and his lungs were much worse. Not that there are any miracles afoot .... but for today it is enough that the test results from the island indicate that we can at least think in terms of months instead of weeks.
If it isn't all that I could ask for, its still more than I had dared to hope for after such a stretch of unrelenting bad news.
Anyone who has read this blog, or the old one, knows that the sticky subject of the Cape Breton SPCA is an undercurrent running through many of my posts. In my perfect fantasy world, they would scrap their gas chamber and pick a better path for their animals. For me this is very personal because my Dad's people came from Cape Breton and so I refuse to accept that animal cruelty is pandemic in Cape Breton.
One of my biggest hobbyhorses has been their refusal to use the free Petfinder listing service, the one they were already signed up for, to promote their adoptables. Lately they have been listing some of their animals.... although sadly it is normally only the youngsters that make it to Petfinder. Nor do the listings come close to reflecting the numbers they would even admit to from last year.
But I'm wandering afield here. Unlike McG's tests and his inoperable old age health issues, the situation for the animals in Cape Breton IS something that can be changed. Am I content with the listings they are posting? Of course not because until they list all their adoptables, a few puppies and kittens is nothing more than a panacea for the critics.
That being said, anyone who is looking for a youngster might want to bookmark their petfinder page. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NS13.html Like the saying that is posted throughout the homeless pet site says "adopting one pet from rescue might not change the whole world, but it will change the whole world for that one pet"
Anyone I've talked to who has read Ian Dunbar's "After You Get Your Puppy", ( which can be downloaded for free at http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf ) has wanted to run right out and adopt a puppy just to do all the very fun things that can be found there. If anyone is seriously considering adopting a puppy, these youngsters were just listed today on the Cape Breton SPCA Petfinder site. Lately they have at least been listing some of their young dogs and puppies .... so if a person had their heart set on a puppie and really wanted to save a life, they should call the shelter at 902-539-7722. The shelter is open from Mon - Sat from 10 am until 4:30 pm ( although on their site it does state that adoptions stop at 4pm.) For more information and directions to the shelter, go to their website at http://www.capebretonspca.com/contactus.html. As I understand it, either they don't have a computer at the shelter, or the one at the shelter isn't on high speed, so I would think it would be better to call them rather than email about any pet.
Livi, Zayre and Ohio all have a purebred Corgi Mom, so they likely won't be too big. Scroll down too to see a couple of sweet ten month terrier mix pups and of course the two sweet youngsters who have been listed on their petfinder site for a while now.
























Onyx and Spuds are just little tykes ..... and don't weigh much more than 10 pounds .... and they are 10 months old! This little pair of sweeties likely won't get much bigger than this!






















Cinda Bear and Darmah may not be babies, but judging by their pictures I wouldn't think that either of them have had their first birthday yet either. They have such beautiful eyes, wouldn't you agree? Even though there isn't any info in either of their bios, its not hard to see that either girl could grow into being a great buddy.


















No comments: