Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When the virtual and everyday reality overlap

I'm a big believer in routines. I'm not referring to the rigidity of a schedule, but rather a set pattern that keeps this multi pet household organized while giving the cats and dogs the security of knowing what to expect.
Having a regular rhythm to the day does not mean one is in a rut. Rather, it liberates ones mind to focus on bigger and broader issues.
For Ruby and Henry, this means that our 'big' hike of the day is after an earlier morning stroll with McG and of course my morning coffee. This morning we weren't a hundred feet west of my mailbox when a car was coming along. When Miss Ruby first came here, she wanted to leap out at every car and truck that went by ..... something that I am sure you would understand I was quick to discourage. So I have her trained to sit whenever she sees a car .... we really don't get enough traffic on our back roads for that to slow us down and I believe it is just ever so much safer than the leaping and lunging bits. I'm old school enough that love isn't all we need .... we need to teach our 'furkids' well so that they can be safe in the world.
But I'm getting off track here ..... the car stopped and the lady driving asked for directions. When she complemented Ruby and Henry for being such lovely dogs, I was quick to let her know they had been adopted from rescue. I consider them to be great ambassadors and take every chance I get to put the word out : )))))
As it happens, as soon as she told me she had two Irish wolfhounds, I put two and two together and we very quickly realized that we had already met in the virtual world. Its (almost ... ha ha ) always a treat to meet someone who reads this middle aged granny's blog and I have no doubt that we will meet again.
After all, I'm not a drama queen. While I do know that people from 'away' read this blog, the main reason it exists is to try to raise the consciousness of folks in my own province, in the hopes that they will lend their voice and support to the animal loving community here in NS.
So it was nice to meet you today. PS We got diverted in our chat so I did not get a chance to tell you that Jacques has been adotped!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Jack has been adopted! WOW you have no idea how excited i am! Pitties can be a tough sell due the the negative and unfair image they have been given. hopefully this is changing. i may end up taking on a pittie afterall, my irresponsible pet owner of a brother may be moving in with his girlfriend whose son is terrified of the dog. rolling my eyes, don't even get me started on all the issues that i have with the entire situation...i know, i know. anyways, Pot Roast may soon be my 3rd furkid--he is a glorious boy. Yes your dogs were astounding--i couldn't get over how sleek and healthy their coats looked, even from far away--they are lucky to have such an incredible mom!! and Henry melted my heart by the way, and i know Ruby wasn't really happy about it--hahaha. Thanks again for the direction, as i said, after 36 years of living here i still get lost. lol. see you soon--jm

Old Maid said...

If you want to see what Miss Ruby looked like this time last year, go to the Happy Tails page on the ARC site where they have one of her before pics : (((((

Anonymous said...

i did just go look. oh boy, she was emaciated. i wonder what her story is. she is a lucky, happy girl now!

melgeo126 said...

haha I read two irish wolfhounds and INSTANTLY knew it was you JM. hahaha , who else has two BIG donkeys!! ;)

Anonymous said...

HaHa MB, my two donkey's think your dogs look like raisins. lol