Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A little thing for the kitties

Like many of the best things in life, tending a cat colony begins with an act of kindness. With luck, there is a TNR group working in the area so that feeding can evolve into proper caregiving by giving all the cats a better life.
But even when the population has been stabilized and everything is done right, what happens to the colony when the caregiver is no longer able to care for the cats?
I had an email today about a situation where the colony caregiver has passed away and his heirs are selling the farm. Sadly this is not the first time I have seen a story like this.
What happens to a colony when the land they live on is sold? It is the very rare purchaser who would be willing to take on such a commitment. Rescues and shelters are already full of socialized house pets and simply do not have the resources to tackle anything like that.
I've blogged before about the need to make some sort of provision, if possible, in our estate planning for our pets. Anyone who has worked rescue for any time at all can rhyme off an endless list of unhappy tails that occur when pet owners assume that their heirs will care for their pets as much as they do.
( The rant about how if we love our pets enough to care for them during our life .... we should love them enough to find a couple of caretakers willing to assume their care if we become unable to do so .... is a subject for another day.)
At some point, everyone involved in any way with animal rescue dreams of opening an animal sanctuary of some sort. Gosh .... even this middle aged granny would love to have the wherewithal to open a senior pet sanctuary. But here in the real world, like everyone else, I do what I can with the resources I have at hand.
So would a feral cat sanctuary be the solution? For a limited time .... right up until it filled up.
For the time being, I have started a new bit to the homeless pet site - Working Cat Listings in the Private Adoption section. Like everything else in the Private Adoption section, listings must be referred through a reputable rescue, an SPCA branch, a vet clinic, an AC or a TNR group. In the interests of simplicity, listings may be submitted to workingcats@nshomelesspets.com
So .... if you know anyone who has a farm or a warehouse or a business and is looking for an environmentally friendly form of pest control, send them to the site for a look see.
I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do.- Helen Keller

No comments: