Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stepping out of the last century

Now that the weather's warming up, its time to make some firm color decisions and start shopping for paint. With three dogs and four indoor kitties it'll be fast drying latex ... but other than that, the choices are almost limitless. Seeing as its my house, as long as the money is there in my bank account I can choose whatever I want. I'm hoping to get most of it done before its time to vote in the provincial election so I can tackle the outdoor to do list while summer is still here.
Less than a hundred years ago, I couldn't have said or done any of that. Sure, I'd have been able to paint ... but I wouldn't have legally been able to own or inherit the home I live in. Nor would I have been able to have my own bank account or vote in the provincial election. Which in turn would have made me ineligible to vote in the next federal election either.
These days there are very few men foolish enough to publicly suggest that there should be a return to 'those good old days' why? Because its as socially unacceptable to be a misogynist as it once was to be feminist.
It isn't the technology that makes this such a different world ... its the change in attitude. Like any other meaningful change, it is only effective because it is backed up by legislation.
The whole concept of animal control stems from earlier days than the suffragettes. Most AC legislation is geared at protecting property instead of promoting responsible care and control of companion animals.
Its a horrible reality that the little feral and stray cats are still regarded as vermin by so many. This creates the perception that catch and kill is an acceptable solution instead of the ineffective tool that it actually is.
Here in Nova Scotia, every municipality has their own animal control policies and laws. Every municipality has a different attitude towards TNR .... some support it, some oppose it and some just haven't heard of it at all.
People might not always agree with their governments, but until TNR gets the 'official stamp of approval' from all the NS municipalities, feral cats will not have any protection at all. TNR groups and rescues simply cannot hope to stop the killing until the municipalities are on board.
The first year that I had a little bank beaver visiting in the upper pond, I went to the NS Dept of Natural Resources website for more information and right at the top of the article it was clearly stated that the Dept did not remove beavers from people's property and offered lots of great tips on how to live with them.
Something similar to that for ferals could be included in all the municipal websites and would be a great life saving tool. Over the years, I've learned a lot of 'tricks' for gardening in an area with so many stray and feral kitties, so I know first hand that it can be done. Alley Cat Allies, www.alleycat.org , is full of great hints too.
It is a great first step that the society is holding the Town Hall Meeting on Stray and Feral Cats on the 30th of this month. To quote Alley Cat Allies, "if you care about cats, you are already an advocate" Its a splendid opportunity to invite your municipal councillors to bring animal control out of the last century.
We won't get to No Kill Nova Scotia until they do.

No comments: