Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lets Say

Thirty five years ago, when I was first posted out west, phone calls home to my parents in New Brunswick were reserved for special occasions. Those brief vocal snapshots were a far cry from the daily discussions my daughter and I have been able to share since she moved to the land of BSL.
Thirty five years ago, none of us ... least of all the phone monopoly, could have imagined a world that would contain "all you can eat long distance plans". Of course, back then most of us had absolutely no idea that the immediacy of the Internet would have such an impact either.
Thirty five years ago, my supervisors were still referring to me as a girl or calling me honey. Women in sticky spots with their supervisors were still being advised not to press charges because it would be 'bad for the man's career' .... and a drunken compulsive gambler could get a car loan quicker than a divorced woman.
So much has changed ... but some things never go out of style. When my granddaughter is playing with her friends while I'm talking to her Mummy, I still hear the ageless refrain "Lets Say".
From earliest age, those two words unlock a world of imagination. Authors and inventors .... scientists and inventors .... all start with a premise that is the adult version of "lets say"
My friend Joan is the regional rep for http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/. Recent events have inspired her to take that up a notch to address the need here in Canada in general and Nova Scotia in particular. To that end, she is building a marvelous new website at http://www.bringthedogsin.ca/ . If you are going to be at the GPAC show tomorrow, Joan will have some wonderful material at her booth where she will be selling liver.
Even better, Joan has started an online petition to drum up support at http://www.petitiononline.com/hfxnsdog/petition.html ... because of course at the end of the day, the single thing ... the only thing ... that galvanizes politicians is a show of numbers.
What time is it? Its time to understand that complacency is the real killer.
The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next. Helen Keller

No comments: