Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our pets are depending on us to keep them safe ....

I love this short space of time ... when spring is sprinting out of the gate before the mosquitoes and black flies can catch up!   It is warm enough to wade in the river ... but not balmy enough yet for finding all the unrecycled flotsam and jetsam left in the wake of teenage parties.
Not to be mean, but if they are going to be the first generation to actually fix all the mistakes of the past,  picking up after themselves would be a great place to start!
Even so, I am still so very lucky to have such ready access to all the woodland trails on my best friend's land.  To be perfectly honest, being able to hop in the car every morning and head to the woods with my dogs really is the very best bit about being retired!
I am a middle aged granny with absolutely no desire to live life on the edge!  What does that mean in realspeak?   Why of course that before I open the car door .... before we start our hike .. I make sure that all of the leashes are firmly in hand. 
If that makes me a fuddy, duddy ... too bad!   It only takes galloping down the road once after a dog determined to introduce himself to a 'hood' that stretches for kilometers either way to appreciate the value of that ounce of prevention.
As always .. I am wandering a little afield!   In the very short space of time that it took to loop the old geezers leashes on one hand and have a secure grip on the big dog's long lines with the other,  the car was already heating up!  
Every year, I keep hoping that this is going to be the year that everyone actually gets how dangerous that Hot Weather Hazards can be for pets.
One of the best resources I have ever found on the subject is a great site called My Dog is Cool .  It is chock full of good information on the subject and even has printable flyers and posters that can be used.
What time is it?   It is always time to remember that our pets are depending on us to keep them safe.   It might seem like only a couple of minutes to us, when we run into an air conditioned store for a quick errand ... but while they are waiting, our faithful friends can really suffer .... even this early in spring!

No comments: