Friday, March 4, 2011

A little something special

This is the part where I have to come clean.  Deep down ... actually not all that deep ..... I fall at least a little in love with every pet that I list on either homeless pet site.  In fact .. everyday before I boot up my computer, I have a little mantra " I already have six purrfect cats and three grreat dogs" :)
Sheesh .. there are names for people who bring too many in and none of them are pretty.  And if I'm ever going to become famous, I certainly do not want it to be for being on live at five with the SPCA van in my dooryard!
Do I have a special affection for those who get overlooked for a senior or special tag?  You bet!   Pets do not bring our human hangups about age and disability to the table.  They do not understand why the grey muzzle or the heart condition or the food allergy makes them 'sit on the shelf'
Honestly .. could anyone even tell me what the big deal is about a deaf cat ... gosh whats so odd about a cat that won't come when its called ?
The dictionary defines special like this:

spe-cial
[spesh-uhl]
–adjective


1. of a distinct or particular kind or character: a special kind of key.
2. being a particular one; particular, individual, or certain: You'd better call the special number.
3. pertaining or peculiar to a particular person, thing, instance, etc.; distinctive; unique: the special features of a plan.
4. having a specific or particular function, purpose, etc.: a special messenger.
5. distinguished or different from what is ordinary or usual: a special occasion; to fix something special.
6. extraordinary; exceptional, as in amount or degree; especial: special importance.
7. being such in an exceptional degree; particularly valued: a special friend.



Extraordinary .. exceptional ... particularly valued.  If you were looking for a once in a lifetime pal, wouldn't your wish list include things like that?
What time is it?  Its always time to recognize that we humans are the ones with the hangups.  At the end of the day ... we are the ones who are actually handicapped. 
Even so, each and everyone of these lovelies would never dream of shunning the kind heart who adopted them as "special" :)









No comments: