Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You don't need to be an intellectual to play by heart

Making music is a real Maritime tradition.  Mom was from PEI and Dad was from Cape Breton, so it should be no surprise that I've had the piano and voice lessons. 
Although I must confess that when I asked for guitar lessons, I was in for a surprise.  My rock and roll visions ground to an abrupt halt when my teacher came to the house.  Instead of long hair and love beads, he was wearing a proper suit and homburg.
My new teacher was a member of the Baden symphony and taught a little classical guitar on the side.  If he wasn't quite what I had asked for, he turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.
In all the years of moving around with the military, my guitar could follow me anywhere.   It was a great ice breaker in new company and a lovely way to pass precious time on my own.
To this day, there is nothing lovelier that being able to play by the wood stove on chilly days like this .. unless its playing outside on a warm summer evening.
All the cliches tell us that music soothes and heals.  Why?  Because it is true.   When my Dad passed away, my grieving Mom could find a measure of comfort in playing her organ.  She hadn't played for years but judging by the lovely melodies wafting out the window, our fingers remember far longer than we think.
Personally, I think its a tragedy that music has pretty much been cut out of the public school system in this province.  In a world where so much is so passive, our children should have the opportunity to learn how to make music themselves.  With their own hands instead by downloading and mixing, eh?
Very soon, there is going to be an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in making their own music ( or teaching their children to do the same)
A beautiful church organ ...pictured below ... has been donated to Pick of the Litter Society.   It will be available on their next facebook auction which will start on Friday Feb.18 and run until Sunday Feb.27 ending at 9:00 pm.
An intellectual is someone who can listen to the "William Tell Overture" without thinking of the Lone Ranger. John Chesson

No comments: