Monday, June 27, 2011

On being swept away

I love to read!  Although I do try to read one book by a new (to me) author each month, Tolkien still tops my all time top ten list of favourite authors.   To be perfectly honest, I stopped counting how many times I had read the Hobbit and his trilogy long before I graduated from high school. 
Some books just stay with us along our own journey.    Every desk I have ever worked at has had a copy of Bilbo's Road Song somewhere in sight.   I actually 'wore out' the paperback version of the trilogy that appeared under the tree over forty years ago and now have a much sturdier hardcover one that still never gathers much dust!  And yes ... I'm one of those tiresome folk who complained all the way back to the car after seeing The Two Towers!
But I am wandering afield here  ... as I often do in my meandering way.  In The Fellowship of the Ring, truer words were never written than "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." 
Three years ago today, I thought I was simply running down to the vets to pick up a case of cat food. And yes ... I am one of those tiresome folk who talk to other people's dogs while I am waiting at the vets.   Three years ago today, there was a fellow whose tail never stopped wagging the whole time I talked to him.   He was so thin and his poor little feet were such a mess ... but it was clear he was one of the sweetest dogs I had ever met.
The short version of this story is of course that that was my sweet O Henry!  CAPS had brought him in for his first appointment and it was just my very good fortune that I had the chance to meet him .... as they say "in furson". 
Which is exactly why I am always nagging about offsite adoption events.   I knew that Ruby needed a play buddy, but was still too sad about the utterly unanticipated loss of Ben to start actively searching.  Meeting Henry in person gave me a perspective that no pictures or petfinder bios could have. 
In other words ... it was the tipping point for a person who was already going to adopt.  It is the very best way to promote adoptable pets ... and it doesn't have to happen on a grand scale.
CAPS usually brings a couple of their lovely cats to the Middleton Market every summer Friday afternoon.  East Coast German Shepherd Rescue regularly brings a couple of their grreat dogs to Global Pet Foods in Halifax ... as well as taking the very clever tack of inviting interested folks to participate in their monthly fundraising dog walks.
What time is it?   It is always time to remember that there is no downside to off site adoption events.  Pets are not passed out like candy ... but their sweet selves are simply the very best ambassadors for pet adoption.   In a world where there are waiting lists for every rescue slot, offsite adoption events should be standard practice.
At the end of the day, we will never get to No Kill Nova Scotia until it is.

No comments: